Wild Trout & Citrus Dressing
For the fish:
- 2 whole brown trout, gutted and cleaned (can be substituted for salmon)
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 bunch Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- Ground fresh white pepper
- 2 large potatoes, scrubbed
For the dressing:
- 50g black olives
- 1 orange (cut into segments)
- 1 pink grapefruit (cut into segments)
- 1 lime (cut into segments)
- 1 lemon (cut into segments)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch of spring onions
- 1 tsp sea salt flakes
- 3 twists of freshly ground pepper
Cooking on fire:
- Light a fire and let it burn down until the coals are Wrap potatoes in foil and place on the coals, covering with embers for 40 minutes.
- Place each fish onto a square of foil and coat the inside and outside of the fish with oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and parsley, or your choice of herbs and spices.
- Tent the foil packets slightly above the fish with edges of foil tightly sealed but not wrapped tightly around fish. Place on the coals, cover with the embers and cook for 8-10 minutes.
Cooking in oven:
- Preheat oven to 200°C (390°F). Pierce potatoes with a fork and place directly onto oven rack. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
- Coat the inside and outside of the fish with oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and parsley, or your choice of herbs and spices.
- Place fish onto a baking tray lined with non-stick paper. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until cooked through.
Whilst the trout is cooking, mix all the ingredients for the citrus dressing and leave to stand. Once the trout is cooked, dress with the citrus dressing. Drizzle with olive oil and serve with the cooked jacket potato on the side.